Monday, August 25, 2008

God’s Love- Is it Really Unconditional? – Part 2

If you haven’t read the first part of this post then I recommend you to first read it. Otherwise you will not get the whole picture of what I am talking here. So read it first here
http://tinkuthompson.blogspot.com/2008/08/gods-love-is-it-really-unconditional.html

So in my last post I tried to raise my concern over the repeated use of the word “Unconditional Love” by people to make people feel better and make them realize that God loves them irrespective of whatever they do. I received some comments both positive and negative about it. Even I had some discussion with few people about it. You can read some comments by an Anonymous person who has sharp disagreement with what I have written. I respect his zeal and appreciate the effort he has put in writing all those comments. So I decided to write a Part 2 giving clarification on certain aspects so that no one will misunderstand me.

Again I want to stress that God is Love and God loves every person in the world. His love is so great that He gave his son Jesus Christ to die. But use of this word unconditional in a wrong way is the concern I have tried to raise here.

You talk to a person who is running away from God thinking that God will never accept him because of his Sin. It makes sense in that case that God loves you irrespective of what you have done. You can repent and God will accept you. There are lots of articles written for and against the subject as to whether God hates sinners or not. You can do a search and read some of them to get a better understanding.

But my concern is against the use of this term to point to the fact that sin is not an issue with God. Your past, present and future sins are already forgiven, God has no issue if you commit sin, you don’t commit sin just to keep Satan away etc. If you are a person who have never heard these terms being used by preachers then chances are that you will hear about such things very soon. It’s a fast spreading teaching. It’s already there in America and if you are in any other part of the world then you may soon hear things like this. I know many people who subscribe to such ideas and teach people about it. If you carefully see then you will find that all these concepts actually hide behind the concept of Unconditional love understood in a wrong way.

Anyone who has listened to these types of teachings will understand and agree to what I am saying. So from the point of view of a person who is growing in his spiritual life, this word in wrong sense can create an issue. The question is why should I need spiritual growth since God’s love is Unconditional to me? Why should I need any spiritual discipline in my life? It will ultimately lead to a dangerous concept of liberal Christianity. It’s no wonder that it’s already being reflected and seen in many places. Concept of Casual Christianity is growing not only in western countries but also in other places. We have already reached a time when it has become difficult to find any difference between Christians and non-Christians. I agree that exceptions are always there but the radical difference which was reflected through the first century church and believers is lost to a large extend. We all need to take the blame for that. When I write this blog, I am not excluding myself from that list. There is a need of true revival. What we need is not another emotional revival but a revival which will change the life style and make us radical in our life style for the world to see Christ through us.

If our goal is this then I don’t think we need to just highlight the word unconditional to attract people. The reason is that a spirituality which takes man’s responsibility away completely and puts everything on God alone is not true in itself. Word of God has lot of condition set for different things. No one can deny that. If a person has to be saved then he has to believe in Jesus Christ.

So we have to careful with the use of this term. If we use it then we have to make sure that we explain both sides. In this post I don’t want write more as it will go out of scope of this post.

Let me remind one things- My failures or weakness, let it be spiritual, should not force me to believe things differently to accommodate and justify my failures and weakness. I should submit myself and pray for God’s grace and help in overcoming everything and leading a victorious life which is pleasing in the sight of God. Hiding behind concepts like unconditional love to justify my weakness or lifestyle or my preferences is dangerous. If I am not able to follow something which Bible asks me to follow then I should not take the cover of unconditional love to justify my actions in the site of God as well as other people.

I hope things are clearer now. If not then you can write to me and I will be more than happy to elaborate more about it.

So even though God’s love is not conditional, it’s simply not unconditional in the sense that it forces God to agree to all my actions and ignore my sin. God’s love does not take away his righteous judgment and holy anger against people who don’t do his will.

Numbers 14:18
'The LORD is slow to anger, abounding in love and forgiving sin and rebellion. Yet he does not leave the guilty unpunished; he punishes the children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation.'

Nahum 1:3
The LORD is slow to anger and great in power; the LORD will not leave the guilty unpunished. His way is in the whirlwind and the storm, and clouds are the dust of his feet.

Romans 2:5
But because of your stubbornness and your unrepentant heart, you are storing up wrath against yourself for the day of God's wrath, when his righteous judgment will be revealed.

May God Bless You!

No comments:

Be Alert: Do not fall into this trap!

Introduction Recently, a Pastor visited me, and I took him to the Mall of America, the biggest mall in America.  As we were walking, we met ...