Wednesday, May 4, 2022

The Magnitude of Sin


I believe that sin is universal and the Bible affirms the depth and breadth of sin in all humans. So sin is not isolated to a few individuals or a majority of the human race, but all are sinners without exception (Rom.3:9).[1] The command to repent is for all people. All people are subject to the penalty of sin which is death. The Bible teaches that all have sinned and the wages of sin is death (Rom. 3:23; 6:23). 

I believe in the doctrine of total depravity. This means that the seat of sin is not merely one aspect of the person, such as the body or the reason.[2] Sin is a matter of the entire person and an unregenerate person’s altruism always contains an element of improper motive. Sinners are completely unable to extricate themselves from their sinful condition.

 Regarding the theories of original sin, I do not agree with Pelagianism.  I believe that Adam’s sin has an effect on all human beings. I agree with the Arminian and Calvinist views that God imputes corrupted nature. About the imputation of guilt, I do not think I have an answer yet as so many other issues are raised with both these views. If guilt is imputed in the sense of culpability then what happens to small children who die is a difficult question to deal with.  The concept that we become responsible and guilty when we accept or approve of our corrupt nature again raises a question as to when does a person really becomes responsible.[3]


[1] Erickson, Christian Theology, 638.

[2] Erickson, Christian Theology, 645.

[3] Erickson, Christian Theology, 656.

No comments:

Be Alert: Do not fall into this trap!

Introduction Recently, a Pastor visited me, and I took him to the Mall of America, the biggest mall in America.  As we were walking, we met ...