Thursday, October 13, 2022

Benefits of Delegation

We all encounter the challenge of lack of time. We are busy and have more tasks to do than we can. We compromise on the time we should take out to relax and rest. Most of the time, we are catching up. This can lead to an experience in which our private life is not in order.

I had been in a similar situation some time ago, and then I changed a few things, and it got better, but still, there was this hurry and busyness. When I got sick last year and spent most of my time in the hospital bed and recovery, everything I was doing came to a standstill. I was left with nothing much to do—no more preaching or taking the pressure of conducting meetings. No work, no more involvement in ministry and was free most of the time.

It gave me time to reflect and think a lot. This led me to make many changes in my life, giving me many benefits. One significant advantage is that I am no more in a hurry or busy. People may not get it, but I am more organized and purposeful now. I am not worrying about what I cannot do. More focused on doing faithfully what I can do today to the best of my ability.    

I have learned that consistency is the key to success in many areas of our life. Along with everything, one thing I am intentional about now is delegating, and it has helped me immensely since I am reaping the benefit in many ways. 

One incident we see in the Bible, which teaches us about delegation, is in Exodus 18. The advice is given to Moses by his father-in-law Jethro.

18 “You’re going to wear yourself out—and the people, too. This job is too heavy a burden for you to handle all by yourself. 19 Now listen to me, and let me give you a word of advice, and may God be with you. You should continue to be the people’s representative before God, bringing their disputes to him. 20 Teach them God’s decrees, and give them his instructions. Show them how to conduct their lives. 21 But select from all the people some capable, honest men who fear God and hate bribes. Appoint them as leaders over groups of one thousand, one hundred, fifty, and ten. 22 They should always be available to solve the people’s common disputes, but have them bring the major cases to you. Let the leaders decide the smaller matters themselves. They will help you carry the load, making the task easier for you. 23 If you follow this advice, and if God commands you to do so, then you will be able to endure the pressures, and all these people will go home in peace.” (NLT)

 

Jethro’s Advice on Delegation

  • Don’t try to resolve all the problems by yourself. You will wear yourself out.
  • Doing everything on your own is a heavy burden.
  • Teach people the laws and principles they should apply to be successful.
  • Let them handle the common issues, but significant cases can still come to you.
  • They can make their own decisions and not become dependent on you.
  • Delegate the decision-making process to able people, with assigned responsibilities according to their abilities, and supervise their activities.
  • This will free them and you.
  • You will be able to handle the pressures better.
  • It will save time.

The Selection Criteria for Delegation

  • Capable
  • Honest
  • Men who fear God and
  • Hate bribes

One big challenge with delegation is that it is sometimes easier to delegate tasks but not authority.

“Don’t just delegate tasks to the next generation. If you delegate tasks, you create followers. Instead, delegate authority to create leaders.” – Craig Groeschel.

If we want to develop leaders, we must delegate authority. At times this cannot be done all of a sudden. This may require time and training. It will be worth the effort in the end. The goal of delegation should be to make leaders who can also function effectively in your absence. The temptation is always there is have a tight grip on everything. Then how long can we hold on? One day we will have to let everything go. Will there be people ready at that time? Sometimes people may motivate and encourage you to hold on to everything since they feel you do things better and want you to do them. Again, we cannot yield to those suggestions when we look at the bigger picture.  

We have to start doing delegation as it will help us and will benefit us in the long run.

No comments:

Be Alert: Do not fall into this trap!

Introduction Recently, a Pastor visited me, and I took him to the Mall of America, the biggest mall in America.  As we were walking, we met ...