When we think of John Wesley, we often remember him as the founder of Methodism, the fiery preacher on horseback, and the man God used to bring revival across England. Yet behind the powerful ministry was a personal life marked by deep struggle—particularly in his marriage to Mary “Molly” Vazeille Wesley . A Difficult Union Wesley married Molly, a wealthy widow, in 1751. Their marriage, however, quickly became strained. Wesley’s relentless ministry schedule—often gone for months traveling and preaching—left Molly feeling neglected and resentful. Mistrust grew as she accused him of improper attachments to female supporters, though no evidence of misconduct was ever proven. Their conflicts became public, damaging Wesley’s reputation at times. Eventually, Molly left him, returning only briefly before leaving permanently in 1771. Wesley wrote bluntly in his journal: “I did not forsake her, I did not dismiss her, I will not recall her.” Pain in the Parsonage Wesley once desc...
Comments